Full Stack Web Developer
Our team is building a mission critical financial technology platform. The development team is accountable for critical operations related to customer advances and repayments, and issues that impact the financial system. The Full Stack Developer will focus on system integrations with new payroll partners, integrations with payment providers, and writing back end and front end code for customer facing web applications and our administrative back office. This role will help build, scale, and automate processes through integrations with third parties ranging from customer transactions to financial reporting. As a member of our development team, this role works to ensure we build a reliable system that still provides the flexibility to quickly add new features and grow our business.
HOW YOU WOULD CONTRIBUTE
- Write elegant code in Ruby building and improving our code base in meaningful ways
- Write front-end and back end code for customer facing web applications and administrative back office
- Write well-tested code, and unit tests and work to improve automated system tests
- Write integrations using API’s and Flat File exchanges for the systems of payment providers (e.g. Interac, Stripe) and payroll partners
- Maintain a balance between fixing bugs quickly, and taking the time to dig into complex problems
- Work directly with all departments to ensure rapid response rates to operational issues that affect the financial pipeline and provide best in class customer experiences.
- Work with in-house counsel to ensure regulatory compliance
- Work with finance to ensure the ability to comply with reporting standards
- Assist with reviewing incoming product feature requests and customer feedback for product management purposes
- Champion ZayZoon’s mission to provide responsible financial products to an underserved generation of employees!
WHAT YOU BRING
- A passion for working on mission critical systems and love the challenge of juggling multiple projects and working with different team members throughout the business
- Detail oriented and know that the little things matter
- Analytical problem solver with the ability to differentiate between root causes vs. symptoms
- A knack for figuring out how things work and documenting processes
- Ability to make the connection from development tasks, to the bigger picture impact on business strategy
- Positive and open-minded attitude with a desire to innovate and challenge the status quo
- Effective, transparent communicator who would rather overshare the truth than obscure it
- A thirst for knowledge and drive for continuous self improvement
- Strong interest in, and ability to build scalable, maintainable, and reliable systems
- Experience with Ruby on Rails (or an equivalent framework and the ability to learn Rails quickly!)
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- Building and scaling user focused web applications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with “techy” and “non-techy” personalities alike
- Experience integrating with cloud-based payment processors (eg, Stripe, PayPal)
IT WOULD BE NICE IF YOU HAD EXPERIENCE
- In financial technology, accounting systems, or banking
- With Scrum style Sprint planning
- Scaling and securing Cloud infrastructure such as AWS
- With Monday project management software, or Intercom customer support platform
ANYTHING ELSE YOU MIGHT NEED TO KNOW
You will need to be comfortable working outside of the traditional 9-5 work schedule on an occasional basis to offer exceptional support to all our users.
The chosen candidate may be asked to undergo a criminal record check and a basic security clearance.
Please note that a final step in our hiring process is for candidates to arrange personal reference calls with former supervisors and others we may choose. There are three reasons for this:
Your development – Candid insights of managers and others can be used to help you move smoothly into your next job and can help you create a powerful individual development plan.
Verification – Discussions with former managers and others will add credibility to the information you have provided throughout the hiring process.
Ease – It’s difficult for us to get former supervisors and others to talk with us, but high performers can arrange for those personal discussions.
We will be in contact if we decide to proceed to the next stage in our recruiting process however please note that only successful candidates will be contacted.