Developer Summer Student
Our team is building a mission critical financial technology platform. With the mentorship of our Lead Developer and the guidance of our existing Development team, the Developer Co-op Student will assist with system integrations with new payroll partners, integrations with payment providers, and writing back end and front end code for customer facing web applications and our administrative back office. Through various project management tasks, the Student will participate in the full life cycle of a partner integration interacting with key functions in the company and attending technical partner calls. This role will assist our development team to build, scale, and automate processes ranging from customer transactions to financial reporting. As a member of our development team, this role works to ensure we build a reliable system that still provides the flexibility to quickly add new features and grow our business.
WHY YOU SHOULD WORK WITH US…
• Want to make a difference through meaningful work and are driven by purpose
• Are looking for mentorship and hands on experience learning how to build scalable, easily maintainable, and reliable systems in a rapidly growing company
• Are tenacious and resourceful when it comes to finding and fixing bugs or tackling complex problems
• Are a quick study and innovative self-starter that is constantly look for better ways to do things – you aren’t afraid to get your hands dirty and figure things out
• Understand the importance of customer success and the need to hustle to find the right solution
• Love to understand the bigger picture and know how what you’re doing (even during a short work term) will help move the company forward!
• Have a vision of improving the financial wellness of our customers worldwide
• Know how to wear multiple hats, and that every team member makes a difference
• Have each other’s backs because we know we’re in this together
• Thrive on moving the needle and having the ability to create exceptional experiences for our customers
• Are fast paced and performance driven, yet also know how to have fun!
HOW YOU WOULD CONTRIBUTE
• Assist in writing front-end and back end code in Ruby for customer facing web applications and administrative back office
• Assist in writing well-tested code, and unit tests and work to improve automated system tests
• Assist with integrations using API’s and Flat File exchanges for the systems of payment providers (e.g. Interac, Stripe) and payroll partners
• Maintain a balance between fixing bugs quickly, and taking the time to dig into complex problems
• Work directly with all departments to ensure rapid response rates to operational issues that affect the financial pipeline and provide best in class customer experiences.
• Assist with reviewing incoming product feature requests and customer feedback for product management purposes
• Champion ZayZoon’s mission to provide responsible financial products to an underserved generation of employees!
WHAT YOU BRING
• A passion for working on mission critical systems and love the challenge of juggling multiple projects and working with different team members throughout the business
• Detail oriented and know that the little things matter
• Analytical problem solver with the ability to differentiate between root causes vs. symptoms
• A knack for figuring out how things work and documenting processes
• Ability to make the connection from development tasks, to the bigger picture impact on business strategy
• Positive and open-minded attitude with a desire to innovate and challenge the status quo
• Effective, transparent communicator who would rather overshare the truth than obscure it
• A thirst for knowledge and drive for continuous self improvement
• Strong interest in building scalable, maintainable, and reliable systems
• Experience with relational databases and SQL
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with “techy” and “non-techy” personalities alike
IT WOULD BE NICE IF YOU HAD EXPERIENCE
• With Ruby on Rails (or an equivalent framework and the ability to learn Rails quickly!)
• In financial technology, accounting systems, or banking
• Building and scaling user focused web applications
• Experience integrating with cloud-based payment processors (eg, Stripe, PayPal)
• With Scrum style Sprint planning
• Scaling and securing Cloud infrastructure such as AWS
• With Monday project management software, and Intercom or other customer support platform
ANYTHING ELSE YOU MIGHT NEED TO KNOW
This role is for a full time summer work term running from May 1, 2019 – August 30, 2019.
Please note that a final step in our hiring process is for candidates to arrange personal reference calls with former supervisors and others we may choose. There are three reasons for this:
Your development -Candid insights of managers and others can be used to help you move smoothly into your next job and can help you create a powerful individual development plan.
Verification -Discussions with former managers and others will add credibility to the information you have provided throughout the hiring process.
Ease -It’s difficult for us to get former supervisors and others to talk with us, but high performers can arrange for those personal discussions.
We will be in contact if we decide to proceed to the next stage in our recruiting process however please note that only successful candidates will be contacted.
The chosen candidate may be asked to undergo a criminal record check and a basic security clearance.
Please note that a final step in our hiring process is for candidates to arrange personal reference calls with former managers and others we may choose. We wish to thank all qualified applicants for their interest in joining our team!